The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Cook I position within the University's Self Operated Dining Services Department. These positions are located on our St. Paul campus within The View, the Northsider, and Scooters.
These positions are full-time, 1.0 FTE and work 12 months out of the year.
The University of St. Thomas Dining Services is a dynamic self-operated dining operation that provides meals for students, faculty, staff and visitors daily. The mission of Dining Services is to provide excellent dining experiences, enriching and nourishing the University of St. Thomas community. We provide a wide range of amenities that match the diverse needs of our campus community. Our department encompasses resident dining, catering services, and convenience locations.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
The Cook I position is a short-order, open line cook who interacts with customers to make made-to-order menu items. This position also assists with general food preparation tasks, such as gathering food items, reading recipes and preparing food for service.
1. Prepare customized, made-to-order menu items in a high-volume environment, with a focus on food presentation and speed of service (saute, grill, pizza, etc.)
2. Set up/close down open line workstation for service based on provided recipes, planograms, etc. in a clean and timely manner.
3. Document all usage serving line worksheet or production worksheet
- After preparing food, document how much was prepared
- After service, document how much is leftover
- Use proper unit of measure when documenting quantities, i.e. pans, servings, pounds
4. Present food in an attractive manner
- Items should be appropriately sauced and/or garnished
- Food should be arranged in serving pan in an organized and appealing way
- Serve hot food hot and cold food cold
5. Follow ServSafe food handling guidelines
- Wash hands consistently throughout shift
- Change gloves when appropriate, i.e. after touching anything other than what you’re immediately working with
- Take and record product temperatures to ensure that food remains in safe zone throughout holding and service
- Follow HACCP plan
6. Maintain a clean work station
- Keep counters clear and clean
- Keep glass/windows clean and free of grease
- Have proper signage in place, i.e. accurate signs for what is being served
7. Prep food throughout shift
- Assist all culinary staff in completing prep sheets
- Prep is a continuous job of this, and all, positions
This position works a flexible schedule based on business needs, including nights and weekends. This position is designated Emergency Essential. Emergency Essential employees may be expected to remain at work if campus closes during their regular work schedule or to report to work if the campus-closing announcement is made before their regular work schedule begins.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested candidates must apply online at https://www.stthomas.edu/jobs/. Follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes creating or updating an applicant profile, uploading a resume, and completing a job specific application.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer