The University of St. Thomas is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate leader who shares our values and passion for the hospitality industry. Dining Services invites qualified candidates to apply for a Manager I position and join our leadership team to positively contribute to our busy and vibrant dining operation.
This position presents applicants the opportunity to be a part of a leadership team that collaborates with our culinary team to offer our students exceptional, fresh, nutritious food, while employing sustainable, socially responsible business practices. We are an environmentally friendly operation and our team of food service professionals have a shared ongoing commitment to adopting sustainable practices in our dining operations.
The mission of Dining Services is to provide excellent dining experiences, enriching and nourishing the University of St. Thomas community. As a part of this mission, we provide the nutritional foundation for the academic and co-curricular success of our students through a wide range of amenities that coincide with the diverse needs of our campus.
The responsibilities of the Manager include student hiring, managing When to Work schedule system, and training of student workers. This positions reports to the Assistant Director, Residential Dining, and works closely with and alongside the front of house FTE and the culinary team to ensure a quality dining experience for our students and the St. Thomas community.
This position and the other supervisor positions work a variety of hours rotating their schedules based on business need, including nights and weekends. This position is designated as Emergency Essential. Emergency Essential employees are expected to remain at work if campus closes during their regular work schedule or to report to work if the campus closing announcement is made before their regular work schedule begins.
1. This leadership position ensures that there is sufficient coverage and oversees all logistics in The View. Provides a continuous management presence throughout operating hours. The View manager is responsible for supervising all student and fulltime staff, this includes hiring, coaching, training, and disciplinary. Tasks include; overseeing and assisting with the set up, service and clean-up of the daily foodservice operations; maintaining an aesthetically pleasing service area; monitoring and correcting food production concerns to ensure the highest quality food is consistently being served.
2. Trains and supervises student workers and foodservice workers according to standard operating procedures and other written expectations of the Dining Services Department. Responsible for adhering to the Department of Health codes and Safe Serv protocol.
3. Assists with the monitoring of food and supplies, front-of-house equipment, and other tasks to ensure service runs smoothly in the View. Responsible for collecting appropriate documentation for the food management system (i.e. Service Actuals); food safety and sanitation requirements (i.e. Food/Equipment Temperature Logs); and weekly responsibilities of employees (i.e. Weekly Cleaning Tasks) and takes corrective action if required.
4. Assists the Assistant Director with resident menu and nutrition planning. Works collaboratively with the Executive Chef and AD of Residential Dining to develop holiday/seasonal/special event meals for customers. Manages customer comment cards, and responds when necessary.
5. Responsible for overseeing the opening and closing procedures of the cash registers and related financial transactions/tasks.
6. Acts as a back up to the Assistant Director in his/her absence.
7. Maintains specific equipment used by staff. Takes proper steps to repair or replace equipment when needed.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Minimum qualifications: High School education or equivalent and four years of experience working in a large scale food preparation setting.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
ServSafe certification with the State of Minnesota required within six months of hire.
Preferred qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in hospitality, restaurant/food service management, dietetics, business or related field (or) equivalent experience working in the hospitality industry and/or five years of professional experience working in a hotel, university, resort or comparable institutional setting to include progressive management/supervisory experience in commercial or institutional food service.
Knowledge of: Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline; principles, methods and equipment used in high volume meal preparation in an institutional setting; nutritional and menu planning guidelines, including state and federal regulations; inventory control and record keeping principles and practices; safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service; principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment. This position must possess good judgment and have the ability work independently.
Skill in: Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of others; instructing others in work procedures; ability to work with and train students; planning, overseeing and preparing meals in a large scale, institutional setting; ordering and inventorying food and supplies; operating, cleaning and performing minor maintenance to large institutional food preparation and cooking equipment; operating a clean work environment and adhering to the Health Department codes; making accurate arithmetic calculations; reading, understanding and following recipes and oral and written directions; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; maintaining security of facilities and equipment; developing effective work teams and motivating individuals to meet goals and objectives and provide customer services in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
Physical requirements: Ability to work in and move about a kitchen facility; ability to use a computer and other equipment; ability to read printed materials; stamina to remain standing for extended periods of time; ability to lift and/or transport materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds; ability to work in environments with varying temperatures, (i.e., hot and cold serving lines, refrigerators, freezers, etc.); ability to work a variety of hours dictated by our business activities. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who require and request accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer